Quick Guide to Tooth Decay Prevention
If you want to keep a healthy smile throughout life, tooth decay prevention should be a priority. Preventing cavities and gum disease are the primary functions of any dental care routine. Tooth decay can affect the outer enamel coating of a tooth and its inner dentin layer. When residue from carbohydrate-filled foods is left on the surface of teeth, the mouth’s normal bacteria turns them into acid, which combines with saliva and forms plaque. The acids in the plaque literally dissolve enamel and leave behind the holes we know as cavities. The tips listed below can help in preventing cavities:
Essential Decay-Busting Tips
- Most importantly, brush your teeth twice a day with a toothpaste that contains fluoride. When possible, brush after every meal and before bed. Following with a fluoride mouth rinse can also help.
- Use soft, pliable dental floss or interdental cleaners to clean between your teeth every day.
- Eat healthy, balanced meals, and limit your between-meal snacks. Avoid carbohydrate foods like candies, chips, cookies, and crackers. These foods remain on the surface of teeth and encourage plaque formation. If you do consume sticky or sugary foods, brush your teeth immediately afterwards.
- Drink fluoridated water. If your water is not fluoridated or you have existing problems with tooth decay, talk to your dentist about using supplemental fluoride to help strengthen your teeth.
- Consider dental sealants. These products are plastic coatings applied to the chewing surface of molars to protect them from tooth decay.
- Schedule regular visits with your dentist for oral exams. Routine visits can check the progress of any existing dental issues and detect new problems before they become serious.
- Have your teeth cleaned professionally once or twice a year.
- Keep track of new developments in tooth decay prevention. Promising treatments include xylitol, dental materials that release fluoride slowly over time, and dental care products that reverse early cavities.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Sarasota, call Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota today at (941) 306-1818 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Sarasota. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota.