Proper Dental Care Begins at an Early Age
Over the last decade, rates of poor oral health among the total population have seen a drastic decline. However, in recent years, rates of poor oral health among young children have been steadily climbing. More and more dental care professionals are reporting incidents of young children with multiple cavities and oral damage than ever before. Family dentistry experts believe that education and awareness are key factors in reversing this trend. Parents should be made aware that proper dental care habits must be taught at a very early age—even before your child’s first tooth emerges. Instilling solid dental care habits in your children will help them have healthy teeth for a lifetime.
Untreated oral health issues, such as tooth decay and damage to the gums and supporting bones of the mouth can result in many growth and development issues in children. Speech patterns may be affected, secondary teeth may emerge crooked or damaged, and the risk of chronic disease increases. To ensure that your child’s teeth stay healthy, visit an affordable dentist every six months and follow these six tips for teaching your children proper dental care:
1. Start dental care early – You can start teaching your child good dental care habits before their first tooth emerges. Start by getting your child familiar with the sensations of dental care by wiping their gums with a soft cloth or gauze after each feeding. Once your child’s first tooth emerges, you can add a toothbrush to the dental care routine.
2. Visit an affordable dentist twice a year – Begin taking your child to your family dentistry practitioner as soon as their first tooth emerges. This will help ease fears of the dentist and give you support with your child’s dental care. Plus, research shows that preventive visits make dental care more affordable. Due to early detection, people typically save 40 percent over those who skip routine dental screenings.
3. Make dental care habits fun – As you teach your child about proper dental care, make it fun. Tell stories, play games and sing songs that promote the message of routine dental care. Your child will come to value their smile and the care it takes to maintain it.
4. Brush for two minutes, twice a day – Teach your child to brush twice a day for at least two minutes. While your child brushes, play music or hum a tune that lasts two minutes to encourage them to brush the necessary length of time.
5. Floss every day – Once your child has two teeth that have emerged side-by-side, you can begin teaching them how to floss. You can use floss picks or sticks to help make the process easier. This stage of teaching is to make the practice a lifelong habit.
6. Rinse with mouthwash – Mouthwash rinses away debris and bacteria that the toothbrush can’t reach or that may have been loosened during flossing. Since fluoride mouthwashes can be strong and cause discoloration, talk to an affordable dentist about mouthwash products designed for kids.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Sarasota, call Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota today at (941) 306-1818 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Sarasota. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota.