Drop Those Bad Dental Care Habits and Form Good Ones
You may not pay much attention to your everyday dental care habits, but if they’re bad ones, they can sabotage the health of your teeth and gums. Every time you forget to floss, eat too many sweets without brushing, or open a bottle with your front teeth, you are increasing your risk of chipped or broken teeth, tooth decay, cavities, periodontal disease, and eventual tooth loss. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop there. Bad dental care habits can also affect your life in unexpected ways such as the following.
- Cardiovascular disease, pneumonia, and diabetes are all linked to poor oral health.
- Tooth loss or extensive decay may result in difficulty chewing or speaking.
- Bad breath and tooth discoloration can destroy your self-confidence.
- Avoiding needed dental care treatments now can result in expensive and more-invasive treatments later.
Improving Dental Hygiene for Kids and Adults
Dental professionals recommend the following to improve dental hygiene:
- Brush at least twice daily and after meals when possible.
- When you can’t brush after eating, chew sugar-free gum for about 20 minutes.
- Floss each day to remove plaque and residual food from hard-to-reach places between teeth.
- Clean your tongue with your toothbrush or a tongue scraper after you brush to remove the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Replace your toothbrush when its bristles become bent, broken, or jagged.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid excess sweets.
- Never use your teeth to open bottles, bags, or other items.
- Visit an affordable dentist in Sarasota and schedule check-ups at least twice a year to address minor dental problems before they get worse.
Understanding proper dental care habits and making changes as needed helps you keep your healthy smile for decades. The sooner you start taking care of your teeth and gums, the longer you can enjoy the benefits of great oral health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Sarasota, call Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota today at (941) 306-1818 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Sarasota. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota.