Back to the Basics of Proper Dental Care
Brushing and flossing become second nature by the time many people reach adulthood. Although the habit seems inherent, it is not always completed in a proper manner to ensure disease prevention and optimal health. Sometimes, a reminder of the basics is necessary to achieve optimal oral health throughout life. While twice daily brushing and once daily flossing are simple tasks, there is a method to it all that can protect not only your oral health, but your total body health as well. Use this guide to get back to the basics of proper dental care and enjoy a healthy life with a beautiful smile.
Basic dental care comes down to a few easy steps:
- Brush at least twice daily, or after each meal, if possible. Brush for a minimum of two minutes, dividing the mouth in quadrants and thoroughly brushing each section thoroughly.
- Floss at least once daily to free bacteria and debris that often gets stuck in crevices between and around teeth, where your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Rinse with mouthwash at least once daily after brushing to further cleanse away bacteria and food debris.
- Consume a diet high in nutrient-rich fruits, vegetables, and dairy products that promote oral health.
- Find an affordable dentist and schedule appointments every six months. Your dentist can clean plaque build-up that even the most diligent at-home dental care can’t remove.
- An affordable dentist can detect oral conditions at the earliest stages and ensure that you receive proper treatment.
The Importance of Basic Dental Care
- Fights cavities
- Protects gums and tissues surrounding the teeth that support facial structure
- Improves outcomes during each dentist visit, making visits quick and pleasant
- Oral health disease and conditions are costly; basic care saves your health and your money
- Prevents bad breath
- Removes stains caused by certain foods, drinks, and tobacco use
- Reduces risk of disease for the entire body
- Maintains a beautiful smile for a lifetime
Avoid Dental Problems
- Brush twice daily or, if possible, after every meal. Within just 20 minutes of finishing a meal, bacteria and food debris can start causing damage.
- Avoid sugary and starchy foods, which feed the bacteria in the mouth that can erode the teeth.
- Avoid using tobacco products – chewing and smoking tobacco can lead to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Clean your tongue with your toothbrush or a tongue scraper to minimize bad breath
- Visit your dentist every six months.
The basics of dental care can give you an award-winning smile that will last a lifetime.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Sarasota, call Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota today at (941) 306-1818 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Sarasota. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Sarasota.